Looking for more ideas for things to do this month and next? Take a look at these upcoming events happening across North Somerset…
- Experience Bingo like never before – with crazy prizes, twerk offs, sing-offs and rave classics. Bingo Lingo takes place tomorrow (Saturday) at the Tropicana, in Weston-super-Mare. Doors open 6pm, first game 7pm. For more information visit www.bingolingo.club or www.facebook.com/bingolingouk
- Hear a variety of local musicians strumming their tunes on stage while you chill out and relax. Busk in the Sun takes place from noon to 6pm on Sunday (18 Aug) outside the Florentine Bistro, in the Italian Gardens, Weston-super-Mare. A re-scheduled Busk in the Sun event will also take place during the Bank Holiday weekend, following last weekend’s bad weather. See www.facebook.com/buskinthesun for updates.
- Could you tag a tile to help save Clevedon’s historic Curzon cinema? The cinema is running an appeal to raise more than £100,000 towards its roof restoration. It’s asking people to make a suggested donation of £10 to write on one of 12,833 tiles that will replace the old tiles that are in a very poor state. Tiles could be written or drawn on with inspirational, fun or emotional content. Tag-a-Tile sessions run in the cinema from 10am-2pm and 4.30pm-6.30pm on Tuesdays, and 10am-2pm on Saturdays. An application has also been submitted to the National Lottery Heritage Fund for £240,000 towards the roof restoration project, which is expected to cost more than £500,000. Find out more about the Curzon and what’s on at www.curzon.org.uk
- Go behind the scenes of Weston’s popular theatre during an open day soon. The Playhouse Theatre, in the High Street, is running behind-the-scenes tours from 11am-3pm on Saturday 7 September. During the open day there will also be a book signing with author Samantha Ball and her newly-published book, A History and Celebration of The Playhouse Theatre. The book follows the history of the venue from its beginning in an old market hall to a much-loved attraction, including the catastrophic fire in August 1964.
- Sing-along to the Oscar-winning and foot-stomping smash hit Bohemian Rhapsody during a unique outdoor screening at Portishead Open Air Pool. The film celebrates Queen, their music and their extraordinary lead singer Freddie Mercury, and can be seen at the outdoor venue from 7pm on Saturday 7 September. Check the weather forecast beforehand and dress appropriately. It will still go ahead if it rains and only be cancelled in the event of extreme weather, such as dangerously high winds. Find out more and book tickets at www.curzon.co.uk/bohemianrhapsody
Model train enthusiasts can see high-quality working layouts while raising money for charity for next popular train show. The show, in aid of Weston Hospicecare and The Castle Kids Club, takes place at The Campus, in Locking Castle, from 10am-4.30pm on Sunday 15 September. Entry costs £7 for adults, £6.50 concessions, £2 for children, or £16 for a family ticket. www.westonsupermaretrainshow.com